Monday, May 18, 2009

Wishful thinking

Every once in a while, i would be sitting down, day-dreaming, thinking about how different my life would've been if i were to study abroad. Being the eldest in a family of 7, it is hard to ever think about studying overseas as the cost to bring one child anywhere would cost a bomb. I have always dreamt of studying in a quizzical and enticing foreign land, eating strange food and meeting new and exciting people. The thought of leaving home, my comfort zone, my favourite mamak stall, my gorgeous boyfriend (ahem), my bed, my parents, my friends, and everything else which matters is definitely scary and wonderful at the same time.



Truth is, I'm always envious of those who's parents could afford to send their kids overseas. However, over the years, as i age (ugrh i hate that word) and mature into a fine young lady, my perception about studying abroad has evolved, and now the remnants of my thoughts are summed up with one word - contentment. Although it feels that i have missed out on a lot of things by not being able to experience studying abroad, I would justify it by weighing the pros and cons of studying right here, in Malaysia. One thing for sure, is that i would never have to miss out on the good ole' nasi lemak, "cha kuey teow", laksa, pan mee while studying in Malaysia (I recalled a friend studying in Australia who requested to fed-ex Pan mee to her).



The next thing is that i would not have to worry about having a long distance relationship; it's seriously a tremendous torture not being able to see your loved one; even with technologies like skype, MSN and phonecalls, nothing beats the physical realm. lol.

And also, I do not have to worry about over-splurging my parent's money when abroad. There's a tendency to do that especially when having a credit card and ATM without parents supervision. In addition, being homesick would be the last thing in my mind if i study in Kuala Lumpur as i would be constantly surrounded by family and friends.



However, the cons of studying locally are tremendously abundant as well. Now that i am staying at home with my parents, it seems that everything is taken care of - bills, housework and i do not have the privilege to worry about them at all! (Hmmm, is it a good thing or a bad thing? haha) And yeah, i would never have the chance to practice my fake accent with foreigners! I've always wanted to do that :(


Salby: *fake accent* Hey, how's it goin'? I'm Salby from Malaysia.

Foreigner: Wow, Malaysia, huh? Where's that?

Salby: It is a large country next to a small island called Singapore.

Foreigner: oh! I know Singapore!

Salby: ..........


For what its worth, I realized that studying abroad is an additional privilege any student would enjoy. However, it should not be set as a "default" in life whereby it becomes something of a need, even so, when your parents cant afford it/or if you fail to secure any scholarships or financial assistance. Dont get me wrong, I am not in any way sour grapes about it. To those blessed ones who are studying or have studied abroad, what a tremendous privilege! To the "salbys" out there, it's okay if you're stuck right here in Malaysia studying a local degree or studying a 4+0 or 3+0 programme. Be grateful for everything God has given you and be content with whatever you have!

ps: Sorry if i sounded like a naggy aunty, but i guess it comes with experience of overcoming the disappointment i had. :)

tata!





4 comments:

  1. aww...gorgeous boyfriend..so sweet, Joe will be beaming from ear to ear :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nah.. you dun sound like a naggy aunty.. haha.. ;)

    and a funny made up conversation you have there huh?? haha...

    does joel still have long hair like that?

    a very good thought... and i'm grateful for being able to study where i am now...

    When's the AIM reunion? i miss you guys.. lol!
    *pokes* muahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a very good thought and a good encouragement to all the students who don't have the opportunity to study abroad :D hehe

    and aww hun :D i'm very happy that you're here in malaysia too :D life will be very much different without you here!

    Praise God for contentment hun!! :d

    ReplyDelete
  4. ally: Haha, im sure he did that!

    Belle: Anna banana! yay, you visited my blog. thanks girl. No, joel's hair isnt that long anymore.. haha. When's the aim reunion btw?

    Honey: thanks hun!

    ReplyDelete